Feel The Pain Baby

I  just received this update on baby Jonah:

From the Silverbergs (Missionaries in New York)

This is another update from a family whose baby is fighting for his life after some intense heart surgery. See previous postings for more information and join us in prayer!

Dear Praying Family,

I just found out from Val what happened to Jonah on Saturday, as I was unable to get to the hospital because I was caring for Josh. Val thought she told me,but she didn’t.

Aparently, when being moved for a cat scan to check his brain function, Jonah, “coded”. He went into cardiac arrest, could not be revived with the paddles, and had no vital signs for some time. They did eventually revive him.
Thus, they are afraid to move him again, so they have taken him off pain medication to hope he feels pain and reacts. If he does not react, he could have irreversable and severe brain damage, or no brain function at all.

Please pray with us. It sounds terrible, but we hope he reacts to pain, and not just feel it.

In Christ’s Love,
Marty for Val

So dear praying friends, you can see several prayer needs here:
•that someone could care for sibling Josh so that both parents can get to the hospital;
•great physical needs for baby Jonah;
•guard the health of Val & Marty, give them supernatural peace
•wisdom, insight and skill of medical staff
•Godwilling, a miracle so profound that God receives great glory and observers come to faith and spiritual growth
•that they all are comforted by love & support of our prayers.

Please take this time to let them know that you are praying; let us shower them with the love of God. Please add a comment, Bible verse, or whatever encouragement that you feel lead to post for them.

I created this edited photo of Baby Jonah as an encouragement and entitled it “Showers of Prayers for Baby Jonah”.

Baby Jonah Pics

Baby Jonah 2011-01-03

WARNING: the family want to share photos of their baby Jonah fighting for his life right now, but also are sensitive to the fact that some people may not be up to viewing his medical process photos. Others will find these photos a wonderment as they see the extremes that medical personnel are employing on behalf of this tiny little boy. Therefore, I have placed the medical photos as a link [med photo]- if you want to see for yourself. You decide. In any case, I will at least post his pre-surg photo to spur on your prayers <3.

Here is what Jonah’s parents said about the photos:

If you would be willing, we’d like to share more of our burden with you. If you are willing and able, we’d like to e-mail a picture of Jonah to you, we believe that a picture is worth a thousand words. We do not wish to offend or disturb any one of you. We are merely seeking to share our heavy burden and believe if you were able to see our little baby, you might be able to even better pray for us. The picture may be disturbing, so if you are willing and able to see it, just click on the link [med photo]. Thank you again so very very much.

Two pictures are of Jonah before he went for his first surgery (Mon. 1/3).  The other two are of him [med photo] 1 day after his first surgery (Wed. 1/5) AND [med photo] The next day (Thurs. 1/6) he was taken into surgery again to open up his vein to open up a blockage that was preventing him from fully draining the fluids from his body.  Even more lines and tubes and meds were placed at that time. (no pics of that).

Please pray that he would continue drain the fluids so that the doctors will be able to close his chest.  The original plan was to close it on Monday, but he had an episode on (Fri 1/7) – he was moved in order to take a CAT scan because his eyes were dilated and they were concerned about possible swelling on the brain.  When they brought him back to his room, his blood pressure dropped and his heartbeat was erratic.  So they had to give him fluids and more meds to get him stable again.  So that put off the surgery for at least one more day.  He has begun a round of antibiotics, because the longer his chest is open the greater his risk of infection.  So again please pray that they would be able to get the fluids out and the swelling down enough that they would be able to close his chest.

Thanks again for all of your love and prayers, Marty & Val

Additionally, here is a photo of Jonah’s Big sister with him. Let’s keep her in our prayers as well. God is at work in a mighty way in this tiny little one. Remember, YOU can leave comments to encourage them.

Prayer for Baby Jonah’s Life

I am posting this email prayer request on my page so that everyone can get details. Please join me in praying for this family! Plus any comments that you leave would be a blessing to them. For I know that I have many praying friends.

Our missionaries in New York!
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:00 PM
Subject: Baby Jonah Silverberg Fighting for His Life

Dear Praying family,

We are so thankful to the Lord because we have you, who love us so much and are praying for us. We are endeavoring to put together a prayer list, after a long time and many computer crashes. Some of you have already received some of this info. Here is a summary.

On Tuesday, Dec. 28th, Valerie went into labor. We were snowed in from Sunday’s storm. Not one plow had come down our bock yet, and we could not get her to the hospital. EMS couldn’t help. By God’s Grace we were able to get a cab. Val had to walk to the main Ave. and go by herself, as I stayed with the children. Val had a C-section delivery.

The surgical team was a assembled one week later on Tuesday, Jan.4th, and began early in the morning what turned out to be over 12 hours of open heart surgery.
They redesigned Jonah’s Aorta and Pulmonary Artery, so he could have a chance to live 6 more months, when hopefully he will undergo another open heart surgery.
That night, Jonah went into Cardiac arrest 2 times and was revived with the paddles both times. Jonah then began retaining fluid at a life threatening pace.

By Thursday night, it was determined he had a blockage and under went another open heart surgery. They found his Superior Vena cava to be narrowed and performed a surgery to widen it. Since then, Jonah has had several episodes of life threatening blood pressure drops, but he made it thru.
Please continue to pray for him. His condition is extremely critical. His chest remains open, as he is so bloated, the wound cannot be closed.
Another surgery is still a possibility as well. The chance of infection with his chest like this is very high. He must drain fluid, but slowly. He is still alive, and we are thankful to the Lord for this. Please pray for Val and I, as we are exhausted, and trying to keep up with all that needs to be done.

In Christ’s Love, with gratitude,
Marty for Val