Here is an update on Baby Jonah still fightingÂ against so many health trials. If you have not been one of those regularly following the story of baby Jonah and the Silverberg family, you can just search on this site for “baby Jonah” and you can read all that the Lord is doing and the specific prayers that are ongoing as well as those that have been answered in mighty ways.
As of April 5th…2011
Dear Praying Family,
We are ever so greatful to you all for your prayers for us and our baby.
We went thru some dark days, as it looked again that we would lose Jonah,
but God has answered our prayers once again.
Jonah is still running a fever, but is mildly improving.
There is talk of possibly releasing him to a rehab hospital in Westchester,
in possibly as little as a month, or as long as 6 months.
We look forward to this, yet the challenge of having Jonah an hour away, instead of a few minutes
is one we have no idea how to work out logistically with considerations of the entire families needs.
We are still completely on our own in regards to staying w/ Jonah at the hospital and caring for our
other 3 children.
This has been a most difficult and challenging time in our lives.
The Lord has supplied us w/ strength, although at times it seems we are not able to rise to the callenges,
but God is with us.
Thank you so much for your continued prayers for Jonah’s recovery and for our family.
I just received an update from the Silverbergs regarding Baby Jonah’s continued struggle in critical care. They have very specific needs and I am thankful that this update is succinct and specific as to how we can pray for them. As the world focuses on this mornings devastating 8.9 earthquake off Japan and the ensuing Pacific Tsunami (I will be doing another post on that after supper), please also remember the Silverberg family in your prayers.
Dear Praying Family,
” The Lord’s Mercies are New Every Morning”
Thank you so very much for your love, prayers and support.
Jonah had another crisis on Wed
He had a virus and very high fever.
Valerie said he had thew RSV virus, caught from human contact.
The doctors could not control the fever. His heart rate was over 200 beats/ min.
for most of the day. The doctors and nurses worked feverishly over him.
Valerie told me as she watched, she was afraid he was dying, and the Doctors
couldn’t stop it from happening.
Well. Praise to the Lord, he began to come around and do better.
Val spent the night again at the hospital on Wed.
Jonah is not well but doing a little better.
We are still seeking help w/ someone to stay w/ Jonah when Val is not there.
We are also looking for the right person to hire for some nights w/ Jonah.
We are very thankful for the young women who did this to help us for 2 1/2 weeks.
Naomi was a huge blessing. How wonderful for her Family and Church to allow her to come
all the way from upstate NYand stay for that time. She asked for nothing in return. Only to
be a blessing.
It has now been over 2 weeks since she had to leave.
Also, we are praying for someone who can help on a regular basisÂ w/ our 3 children, form 2-9 PM,
like 5 days a week. Or a part of that time or days. We need some continued regularityÂ for the
Josh is a handful, so the situation needs to be appropriate, as I will be home some of that time.
When Jonah comes home, we will still need the help.
If we lived by the Church, some folks would help. We live several neighborhoods away, and no one
in the Church has a vehicle. We also live by a different subway line.
Please pray w/ us for the Lord to provide the above mentioned help.
Thank you again, so very much for being there for us to rest our burdens on.
We love you very much,
In Christ’s Love,
Marty for Val
The God who can keep all the powers of the giant waves or quaking of the earth from completely anhilating all life in the Pacific this last fifteen hours is also concerned about the details of who can sit bedside with a tiny baby in the Bronx. There is nothing outside of our Sovereign’s sight and care!
This post is very long for two reasons. One, I was too ill to work at computer even, and two, I included all the information that was sent me. This way, you will have a better idea of how to pray. I will post the two updates on critically ill Baby Jonah (and the entire Silverberg family) that I have received since the last post with the most recent first.
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011
Dear Praying Family,
Thank you again for your patience and perseverance in prayer for and with us.
Yesterday was a very difficult day. Jonah was struggling all day and in a lot of pain. X-rays revealed his breathing tube had pulled out of his lungs and was stuck in his throat. The tube was then removed and Jonah breathed on his own for 4 hours before failing and being put back on the ventilator. Doctors will meet today to discuss how to proceed. We are afraid tracheotomy is looking like a very real next step. When Jonah will get out of the hospital, we have no idea.
We are very glad he is alive, and hope he gets to come home before he goes in for his next surgery, which is scheduled for age 6 months, but may have to be delayed some now. Jonah is 10 weeks old today.
Last night, Val stayed at the hospital. It was very rough on us all. Shakinah, who is already not dealing well being a sibling of an older brother w/ Autism, was in tears last night. She wanted her mother. I, am suffering quite badly from the 32 foot fiberglass ladder job, which did more damage to my spine and neuromuscular condition than I thought, and also suffering sleep deprivation, had a very hard time putting the kids to bed alone. To get Joshy to sleep, Val has to get in the bed w/ him. She is usually exhausted and ready for sleep. I cannot do that, nor could I sleep all squeezed up like that in my condition. I found a way to finally get him to sleep, but it was nearly 11 PM. As usual, I squeezed in a little more work, till 1AM. Figured I’ d try to be in the bed about 5 hours. Figured wrong. At 3:49 AM, I was awakened by Shakinah, who was very disturbed by the continued absence of her Mom. Josh then awoke also. We didn’t get too much more sleep. Val did come home in time to get them ready for school. I took Shakinah and Josiah, and Val rushed to get Joshy and on the bus, which I fought so hard to get re-routed for a trip under 1 hour for him. Then Val went back to the hospital. I am trying to work, but moving very slowly. Then I’ll get the kids and start all over again.
We really need your prayers. Things are getting harder and harder. Our hired help is no longer available at the hospital. Val’s family will not help. My mom is 83 and not close by. The Church has some very nice people, but this is a type of inner-city mission, and we are also a Church. So no one is helping from the Church. In fact, these dear folks look to us to help them. One women, very new to Christ has offered to take Shakinah for a day. Shakinah does not know her, and we do not know her that well.
The Lakes have helped w/ the kids, and will help more. They also have their hands full w/ their own 2 children and a lot of ministry. So, there it is. We have sought help, and the Lord has deemed we continue to bear up under this load. So we go on, in the strength he provides. 70 straight days, except one day that all of us were snowed in. No end in sight. The isolation of ministry in the Bronx, and in fact NYC as a whole, is a very difficult aspect to ministry here. We have always known this. It is getting increasingly difficult for our children. Please keep us in your prayers.
My greatest joy, is being at Church, teaching the word. When I am doing my calling, while draining at times, this is like a refreshing vacation to me.
Thank you for allowing me to share. Thank you also for your comforting prayers, love and support of our family in this difficult time. Your e-mails have been a blessing to us.
Please accept our apologies for not being able to find the time to respond to your e-mail. We know we are loved and prayed for by many.
This is a huge encouragement to us.
We love you dearly in Christ,
Marty for Val
There was also this update prior:
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:11:39 GMT
Dear Praying Family,
All is relatively the same w/ Jonah.
Today he is getting at least one of his lines removed and Having a Bromevac line inserted, to administer meds and draw blood.
Yesterday he struggled w/ an irregular heartbeat.
We are very thankful to not get the kind of news we got last week.
However, we must be prepared for good or bad news.
We are trying to tell ourselves each day is a gift, and we may have to give Jonah back to the Lord at any time.
Please pray for a critical issue:” Jonah needs to be able to breathe w/o the ventilator, or he’ll get a tracheotomy, which may be permanent. We really hope this will not be the case, so please pray about this.
We are still in need of help in the area of people to stay at the hospital w/ Jonah so Val can be home some. Also, Lord willing, when Jonah comes home, we will need some help w/ the Children, so I can get some more work done and Val can survive. I have no family and Val’s Family are not helping. So, all those wonderful young ladies who volunteered to babysit, we can use your help, I hope soon.
Yesterday, I patched the holes on top of the eaves of our house. Dr. Joel Grassi, came over to help me. The 32 foot ladder was definitely out of my league, even w/ help. I had to be the lead guy. This was my first time being the leader w/ a 32 foot ladder. Working in an 11 foot wide driveway, (bet.) house was tough. The ladder was heavy and hard to hold up while extending almost to full length.
That was so hard, picking it up, moving it, extending, and repeating, w/o dropping it.
The Lord helped us. Joel is not a big guy either. Climbing, tarring, using some roof fabric, tarring again, then sticking a little sheet metal on top of the tar was the easy part. Even working at 25 feet above the ground was easy. Getting the ladder down was almost as hard as putting it up. I did get my finger crushed, but that was it. I hope it is not broken. Maybe I’ll just lose the nail. So glad to get that patched. It should last at least a few weeks.
The upstairs of our house smells awful from the water that got in. I don’t know what to do about that water damage except hope it dries up.
We still need help fixing the eaves permanently.
Thank you again so much for your prayers.
In Christ’s Love,
Marty for Val
Friends, you can see how very much this entire family needs our prayers and support. This is taking a remarkable toll on their everyday family life for nearly three months now.Â Our church has recently gathered together many cards from our people to forward on to these Dear Ones as they endure this trial.
Please, I implore you dear reader, won’t you share a line or verse or some piece of encouragement with them by simply adding a comment at the end of this post?
Proverbs 25:11 – “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”